I’m a big believer in incidental exercise – always have been. It’s one part of me that is decidedly un-lazy actually (if you can accept that un-lazy is even a thing). Really, why drive to places that are within walking distance? Why wait around for an elevator when you could be up two flights of stairs in less than a minute? I’ve always liked to think of these things as free exercise. Extra calories here and there that I can burn just going about my everyday life. And you know what? It all adds up!
Now, I know not everyone shares this love of incidental exercise with me, which got me to thinking about other easy ways to burn a few extra calories every day. And that thinking got me to here…
Five easy things you can do to burn more calories today
- Do 150 squats (or squat jumps). It doesn’t matter when, where or how, the important thing is just that you do them! My suggestion goes something like this: Do 30 squats before you leave for work in the morning and another 30 before bed. That only leaves 90 for you to squeeze throughout the day. Sneak 15-20 in each time you go to the bathroom and you’ll be at 150 in no time!
- Do 10 mountain climbers every time you check one of your social media accounts. If you’re somewhere where it’s going to get a little weird (like on the bus or in line at the ATM) bank them and do them when you get home.
- Pick your favourite TV show. Every time there’s an ad break get up and do 50 high knees.
- Get off the bus earlier. I know it’s not ground-breaking, but it’s popular because it works! And I’m not talking one stop earlier either – make it at least three. Better yet, strap on your joggers (but please – not with your dress and stockings) and walk to work.
- Do three burpees every time you walk into your bedroom. Every. Time.
Now none of this is designed to replace your real training – remember, this is just free exercise! But whether you choose to do one, two or all five of the above each day, I guarantee that you’ll be burning extra calories and on your way to achieving those health and fitness goals faster.
p.s Sorry the images are a bit ordinary, I’ll be getting out my own camera from this weekend though so hopefully all future pics will be mine!