Compression gear has come along way since I bought my first pair of (extremely high-waisted and very unflattering) Skins about a decade ago. But one thing that doesn’t seem to have changed too much is the price – it’s hard to find a pair floating around that won’t set you back upwards of $130. I live in my gym clothes, so on a cost per wear basis I could probably spend my life savings on a pair of tights and still come out ahead, but for many people that’s not the case. Which is why I think some of you will be pretty excited to know that I’ve found somewhere that you can snag a decent pair of compressions for under $70.
So first of all I guess it’s important to look at why compression gear is so important. Basically, the way its designed helps accelerate blood flow to working muscles, helping you to work harder for longer. It can also help aid your recovery through the promotion of blood lactate removal. I tend to run in compression tights during winter as they keep me warm (without overheating) and then I’ll also pop them on (a fresh pair) after a particularly hard session or race.
I’ve owned a fair few pieces of compression garments since that first pair of Skins, and recently I was sent a pair full length Galaxy compression tights from SIX30. Haven’t heard of them? Neither had I. SIX30 is an Australian, family-owned business, selling directly to the public via their website. No retailers means lower costs. And I mean seriously lower costs. These bad boys sell online for $69 and shipping is free!
I have worn them a few times now – to work out in and also for some early morning walks with Lou – and these are my thoughts:
* The waistband is flat and wide (super comfy!) which in my experience is not always the case with compression tights
* The band of overlocking (I think that’s what it is) at the bottom of the waistband was on the firm side when pulling up over my hips, but once on the tights were very comfortable. Keep this in mind and make sure you check the sizing chart.
* Lycra is nice and thick, without being too hot and the material was moisture-wicking, so I didn’t get sticky and uncomfortable.
* Not a huge range of designs yet, but what is there is very wearable – my faves are actually the Blue Illusion compressions.
* Unrelated-to-compression: I also love this super cute run top
What are you waiting for Team?
FYI as mentioned I was gifted these tights to test. Rest assured that now – as always – you can expect an honest review.
DIRECTIONS FOR CLAIMING YOUR 15% DISCOUNT
Enter the code ‘lazygirlfitness’ in the ‘discount code’ section on the bottom left hand side of the invoice check before checkout
Ensure you are logged in before using
No expiry on discount code