I love muesli. The toasted stuff. The beautifully golden, deliciously sweet toasted stuff. In fact, I love it so much that usually I don’t keep it in the house. It is D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S. But sometimes you’ve just gotta live on the edge, you know? So on Sunday I cooked myself up a big batch. Cos I’m crazy yo. I’m proud to say I’ve only eaten about half of it so far and that’s pretty good going in my books, because it’s damn tasty stuff.
There are a lot of muesli recipes out there to choose from, but I’ve adapted this particular one from Love and Lemons. I really love that the whole process takes place on the stove – for some reason I find that more satisfying that oven-baking. Last time I made this was for my Challenge girls as an Easter pressie, and I chopped up some dark chocolate to mix through. This time I decided to take things one decadent step further, with the inclusion of a packet of butterscotch bliss fit balls from Slim Secrets.
Trust me – you’ve gotta try it.
1 cup traditional rolled oats
½ teaspoon salt
1 heaped dessert spoon coconut oil
3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
⅓ cup chopped pistachios
⅓ cup flaked almonds
4-5 chopped pitted dates
¼ cup coconut flakes
⅓ cup goji berries
1 packet of Slim Secrets butterscotch bliss fit balls
1. Heat a large, non-stick pan on the stove over low heat. Add oats and spread them into a thin layer, allowing them to toast for two minutes. Add the coconut oil and salt, and stir to incorporate.
2. Continue toasting the oats for 5-7 minutes, stirring only occasionally but ensuring they don’t burn.
3. Add the maple syrup 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir to coat.
4. Once the oats look toasty, add the pistachios, dates, almonds and coconut flakes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the nuts and coconut flakes are toasted and the dates have softened (about another 5 minutes). Be careful not to venture too far from the stove top – you don’t want it to burn!
5. Remove from heat.
6. Pop the Slim Secrets balls in the microwave for 10-20secs to soften, then chop and add to muesli, along with goji berries. Stir through.
7. Allow to cool and then ENJOY! Use as a yoghurt topper, sprinkled over some poached fruit or funnelled straight from a jar and into your mouth.
Happy Wednesday beautiful Team.