Nancy Dinis is Design Finder, offering a fashion experience to help anyone with an appetite for classic fashion. Beyond that, Nancy is an accredited exercise scientist working as a Health Coach, and a huge advocate of prioritising your health and fitness. Most days you’ll find her hitting the gym for a weights or spin session or heading outdoors for some fresh air and yoga. Fashion + fitness = a winning combination in my books.
Take us through your week in exercise
As I don’t have a typical 9 to 5 job it makes it harder to be consistent with my weekly routine, but I make it a point to wake up at 5am regardless of what commitments I have booked in for the day.
To start the day I normally hit the gym at 5:30am for a 60 -75 minute weight and circuit session. During my lunch break, to help gain mental focus and boost my energy I use the spin bike for a quick 20 minute session. I spend most of my day seated at a desk so it helps to be active whereever possible! If I have time and my body feels ok, I will do a 15-20 minute yoga session at home before I go to bed.
On the weekends to keep things interesting I include a variety of outdoor sessions like a walk/ run and some outdoor yoga.
What’s your favourite place to work out? I like a balance between the gym and being outdoors. For a high intensity workout, the gym is definitely my playground! When it comes to a rest and recover session, nothing beats being on the beach for a nice walk and some yoga!
What’s your favourite music to work out to?
Anything up beat that gets me moving – I particularly need it at 5:30am! I’m currently loving podcasts, especially ‘Utopia’ and ‘Thomas Gold Fanfare’ – they’re like my pre workout, without them I’m not sure I could train at the intensity I do!
Describe your workout fashion style
You’ll always find me in 3/4 or long tights and a simple t-back singlet. Easy, simple and comfortable!
Your favourite post-workout meal?
Poached egg wrap with spinach, tomato, cottage cheese and avocado! Mmmm…
Least favourite exercise?
Burpees. I have a hate/love relationship with them! They just never get easier, and when they do, thats when its time to change the variation or add more reps!
What positive impact has being fit and healthy had on your life?
I have been training from a young age, so it is truly a part of my lifestyle. I do it because it helps with my mental health, it helps clear my mind, and makes me focused. The more I push my body physically the more I push it mentally. The mind tends to give up before the body does, so training is a good way to test my limits!
What are your top three tips for staying healthy?
1. Make exercise a lifestyle not a chore! If it’s not something you have ever enjoyed, then look to include it as part of your day, whether that be getting off public transport earlier than your normal stop, or going for a walk on your lunch break.
2. Enjoy everything in moderation and make it a lifestyle approach. If you eat well 80% of the time, it doesn’t really matter what you do the other 20% of the time. No one ever likes feeling like they are on a diet!
3. Failure to plan, is planning to fail! Plan your exercise into your schedule and treat it like you would any other appointment. Then plan out your meals and snacks daily and you’re already halfway there!