Whether you’re single, taken or at the gym, Valentine’s Day is a good excuse for one thing: chocolate. But if you’re staying strong on those New Year’s resolutions (go you!) and are looking for a healthier alternative to the regular store-bought stuff, this post is for you. It’s a raw chocolate cake, developed by the team at Kamalaya Koh Samui, aka my dream holiday destination. I had them on the blog in 2015, talking meditation and sleep, but now we’re really into the important stuff: chocolate.
This cake is actually super simple, but if you want it for Sunday you’re going to need to get into the kitchen on Saturday – it need to set in the fridge overnight.
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 pitted dates
Zest and juice of one orange
280g organic honey
630g avocado (6 pieces)
24g vanilla extract
120g cocoa powder
1. Throw all ingredients for the base into a food processor and blend – not too fine.
2. Place in cake ring, press firmly and chill in fridge for at least two hours.
3. Blend all frosting ingredients until smooth.
4. Pour over walnut base and spread evenly.
5. Leave to set overnight in the fridge.
6. Serve with date and coconut icecream and a side of lurrrrrrrrve. (sorry, couldn’t help it)