Incidental exercise is my favourite thing. OK… not my FAVOURITE thing, but it would probably make the top 10. I mean seriously… what’s not to love about something that helps you out by burning calories when you’re not even trying?!
A bit of movement here and there may not seem like a lot, but when you’re sitting at a desk all day (most likely with poor posture and a disengaged core) you want to be taking every opportunity you can get. Now some of these may seem a little crazy, but I guarantee you they’ll help you burn some extra calories and I think you’ll also find them surprisingly fun.
- Do 20 squats, right now. Literally right now. Put down your phone, and come back to me when you’re done.
- Avoid all escalators you come across. Take the stairs instead.
- Walk around the block before you walk in your front door tonight.
- Plank while the kettle is boiling (maybe avoid this one at work if you don’t want any weird looks).
- Watching TV? Pick an exercise to do in the ad break. Change up the exercise each time.
- Put on your favourite song and dance like a maniac.
- Do five push ups every time you walk into the kitchen.
- Check your latest upload on Instagram. One like = one burpee.
- Talking on your mobile? Walk around or march on the spot.
- Gotta pee? Hover hover hover!
- No inter-office phone calls today. Same goes for Skype, Jabber etc. If you need to talk to a colleague, walk over to them.
- Do 10 mountain climbers every time you swear. Swear a lot? Too bad potty mouth.
- Squat hold while you eat your breakfast. Go for 30 seconds on and 10 seconds off. This works best while eating oats… I definitely do not recommend it while eating bacon and eggs.
- Take the long way to the train station or bus stop today. You know the way I mean.
- Do side lunges while you’re cleaning your teeth.
Have a wonderful day!