OK so lack of movement isn’t usually a struggle when you’ve got young kids (in my experience, sitting still is approximately 833 times harder) BUT with gyms closed and stay-at-home orders in place across Sydney, it doesn’t hurt to have a few extra ways to burn energy up your sleeve. So with that in mind, here are 10 ways to burn more energy during lockdown. Just for you, my fellow parents of toddlers.
- Build an obstacle course. Try not to make it too difficult… if you notice your toddler climbing the downpipes, you’ve likely over-played things.
- Running races up and down the hallway (I suggest letting your babe win occasionally or you’ll look like a bad sport).
- Let your baby loose in the plastics drawers. You’ll bend, squat, stand and pack away at least 745 times each day. #functionalfitness
- Put on your favourite song, grab your babe and dance like it’s 2003 and you’re five vodka, lime and sodas down at the uni bar.
- Two squats before throwing each piece of washing into the machine. 43 onesies + 19 pairs of tiny pants x 97 loads of washing = an arse like a peach in no time.
- Play hide and seek. Note that if you’re parenting a toddler, they absolutely will hide in the same place every single time.
- Nap time? Find a 10-minute workout (try here or here) or join me in my 28-day abs challenge over on Insta, punch it out, then collapse in front of your favourite Netflix show…
- … haha just kidding, that washing isn’t going to fold itself. Do it while you’re watching Schitt’s Creek though and you’re officially multi-tasking.
- Grab a yoga mat or towel and sneak in a few basic movements (squats, push ups, lunges and high knees are great) while your kids are playing. 12/10 likelihood at least one of them will insist on being picked up, or will use you like a climbing wall. Congratulations, now you’re weight training.
- Got a yard? A balcony? A windowsill? Get your babe a little planter box and plant some seedlings *together*. Do 10 push ups every time he yells ‘no, I want to do it!’. Tell him to water the seedlings each day. Realise you should have been more specific about the amount of water. Buy more seedlings. Repeat until you have a mental breakdown.
Hang in there Team, this lockdown has to end someday!
Liked these 10 ways to burn more energy during lockdown, but looking for something a little more practical? Check out my 15-minute lockdown workout.